November 2, 2012

Inconsistencies

Now we've got 24 pages of novel.  A quick read through is in order.  Damn.  He can't have just come there if he hasn't done that yet.  A story cannot be anything unless things make sense.  This is harder than I thought.  I mean I thought maybe I could just sit down and write the thing, people have said that's one way to do it.

Now wait just one damn minute.  Keep your eye on the prize.  Keep going.  It's easier to find and fix the inconsistencies of a finished story than it is to come up with a story at the last minute because you spent the first six months working out the inconsistencies of the first 24 pages.

Okay, I'm going on faith here.  And gut.  I'm pretty sure the thing to do is to keep going while the characters are still telling their story.  More like transcription than work.  Kind of fun.  Truthfully, totally fun.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment