November 15, 2012

Genre


So I went to the library in search of books in my genre. Light women’s fiction. Sophie Kinsella is funny. I loved The Undomestic Goddess. Oh, here’s a book called Shopaholic and Sister. I have characters who are sisters, I’ll get that.

At home I sit down for a good read. The first two pages are confusing and too much work. Are these telegrams? Why does the book start this way? I’m reading LWF so I don’t have to figure this kind of stuff out.

The reader rules when it comes to publishing. I’m the reader here. Note to self. Must have great first line, first page. Yes, must have first page that makes the reader want to keep reading.

Next! Good thing I picked up Diary of a Mad Fat Girl by Stephanie McAfee. Oh, this is really good. Funny right out of the gate. I like this voice. Cheeky, but endearing. I can use this for voice practice.

So glad I got pointed away from Romance. Why did I ever think that was my genre? When you tell the publishing coach you are writing Ro-mance, and your voice drops on the second syllable, you should know you’re in trouble.

Yes, cheeky, funny, smart Women’s Light Fiction, that’s the ticket. Beach read. Ahhhh. I love the beach.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment