February 4, 2013

Wrong Fork

Months ago, I had an idea for a novel. A good one. Something happened and one day my novel was a cartoon I didn't like or recognize, nor did I think anyone would want to read it. It helps to have a guy who lives in my house, reads a lot, and reads the pitch on the back of the books he buys.

He reminded me of my original story. That perhaps what it means to write the story that must be told that only you can tell means not losing the voice in which you best write, and the story can be a simple one, but true to your time and your experience. He got hooked by that little story back then and reminded me the hook has to be extraordinary. It can be simple, but it must be extraordinary.

I'd gotten all philosophical and got the idea my story had to be timeless, embrace deep, universal themes, and perhaps one day become a classic. Becoming too ambitious can kill a good idea. That little story had spunk, and it was original. So I've gone back to it. Much happier now.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment