February 26, 2013

The Gift of the Painted Veil

One thing I love about writing is that almost daily, unexpected gifts come along. I realize I need a big boost when it comes to plotting the story I want to tell, and I'm having some difficulty when it comes to Setting.  A friend happens to mention how much she loves Somerset Maugham. Short on time, I rent The Painted Veil and watch it.

If you know the story of The Painted Veil, you'll know two things about this story. The plot is simple, but gripping, with all the necessary elements, major plot points, reversals, and a twist at the end. The other thing you'll know is that the setting is exotic but not gratuitously, the setting fits the tone, the plot, and the theme of the story perfectly.

Thank you, Somerset Maugham.

More later.


No comments:

Post a Comment