December 16, 2012

The Last Woody Allen Post, I Promise.


Here's another thought. Woody Allen froze in time his system that worked fifty years ago, and it is still working for him now. So why couldn't any writer do the same. Like figure out a system that works to keep track of everything using a laptop, and in fifty years, when everyone else is writing stories and transmitting them from the embedded computer chip in their head to others' embedded computer chips, I could still be tapping away on my fifty year old Mac. 

That's flawed. I'm pretty sure in fifty more years Woody Allen will still be able to put his hands on paper, pen, and staplers, I'm not so sure about being able to use the same laptop for fifty years. Laptops die, software becomes unavailable, does not work with newer laptops, etc. Of course it would take exponential advances in medical science for either one of us to be doing anything at all in fifty years, but you get the point. And one can always hope.

For Woody, there's the typewriter ribbons, and unless he makes photocopies of every revision, there is no record of what went before. For me as a writer now, there's the fact that technology is evolving at an exponential rate and what I'm doing now may not be an option in ten years, let alone fifty. Anything can become an anachronism given enough time, I guess. Were tiny staplers invented when Mark Twain was writing. How far back do paper and pens go? Would it be most wise to go back to scrawling with charcoal on slate tablets? One must use what one has at one's disposal and remain open to change if necessary. For Woody it has not been necessary, for me it might be. There, that's decided, stick with the laptop...for now.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment