December 24, 2012

For Skip

A little over three years ago, when I had been on San Juan Island about a year and was writing regular columns on The San Juan Islander, I was invited to go on a walk with the "Friday Walkers". When I was introduced to the group, and it was noted I was writing stories about adjusting to island life and other things, a man approached me and said he enjoyed the column. Curious, I asked him what he liked about it. He said he liked the story of the Cherry Red Corvette Convertible. He explained he had cancer and he liked the stories about my late husband. I was touched by his honesty and willingness to share his thoughts and feelings. He told me his name was Skip.

That conversation had a profound effect on me. It was the first time anyone had expressed a particular type of appreciation for what I was doing. Baring my soul once a week in a public forum. Something people who care for me were worried about me doing. Skip told me he was touched by my words. I was touched by his thanking me. On subsequent walks, Skip told me about his life and along with other walkers, welcomed me to the island community. When I went to work and could no longer go on those Friday walks, I'd occasionally run into Skip at the post office or grocery store. He always had a friendly greeting for me.

So I was saddened and somewhat surprised to read of his passing earlier this month. I had to look twice at the notice in the post office window. It seemed to me Skip, whose full name was Rees Hawkins Kimble, had the will and the attitude to go on living forever. And being a cancer survivor myself, every person who lives long with cancer is my hero. You just don't expect them to ever actually die. And there's the hope that if they can beat it, so can I. Well, Skip did live a very long time with cancer, seventeen years, and he did it with grace and dignity. That was a huge accomplishment. And I am very glad to have had the pleasure of making his acquaintance on his journey.

My most sincere condolences to Skip Kimble's family.


No comments:

Post a Comment