September 19, 2010

Life Long Learning

Bearing in mind all the things I’ve tried but wasn’t very good at, I could feel like those experiments ended in failure.  But in light of recent brain science, giving up on them is not the thing to do, which is kind of exciting.  For most of my life I’ve enjoyed taking family photos, but whenever I’ve tried to learn the art of photography, most of the concepts escape me.  So should I pack it in and leave picture taking to the professionals?  Not according to Dr. Daniel Amen.  He says the more difficult the task we give our brains, the more neural pathways we develop and the better our brains function, especially as we age. 

That reframes learning about wine, cooking, playing an instrument, learning a language, boating, fishing, bird watching.  All the things I tell myself I’m too old to master.  Well, I might be too old to master them, but that shouldn’t stop me from enjoying them anyway.  Who says we have to be expert at something to enjoy it?  It’s nice to have a sense of mastery in some things, but it’s certainly not necessary to have it in all things.  Saying no to trying new things is at the very least limiting, and at worst bad for our brains.  Here’s what Dr. Amen has to say about maintaining brain function:

  1. ·  The human brain is dependent on proper stimulation to grow and develop in healthy ways throughout childhood and to maintain its functioning into old age.  
  2. ·  When you stimulate neurons in the right way, you make them more efficient; they function better, and you are more likely to have an active, learning brain throughout your life.  
  3. ·  The best sources of stimulation for the brain are physical exercise, mental exercise, and social bonding…

Read about brain science on Dr. Amen’s website:  http://www.amenclinics.com/

And according to the Franklin Institute, “The human brain is able to continually adapt and rewire itself. Even in old age, it can grow new neurons. Severe mental decline is usually caused by disease, whereas most age-related losses in memory or motor skills simply result from inactivity and a lack of mental exercise and stimulation. In other words, use it or lose it.”

None of this is huge news to anyone who has been paying attention to media reports on brain function lately.  But what is a new idea to me is that simply by challenging our brains, we do them good, and that challenge can come in many forms.  Particularly learning new skills, and interacting with others.  This is great news.  All those classes I’ve been wanting to take but couldn’t justify suddenly become an investment in my brain.  Learning Adobe Photoshop, writing seminars at the library, bird watching trips.  All justified. 

Although dementia runs in my family, both my parents kept their brains active long into their old age.  Completing the daily crossword from the paper was part of their routine.  They found creative ways to travel at low cost and my dad researched his family when they went back to England.  They volunteered at their local library which both kept them connected to their neighbors and taught them new skills.  My dad used a computer and they kept current with electronics recording educational and comedy shows, as well as continuing to read the paper every day.  They also volunteered in the library thrift shop, my mom learning to use the cash register. 

It’s great to have come to live in a place so full of people interested in so many things, and so many educational programs, as well as opportunities to continue to work, stay active in the community and get involved in local politics, now that will get your brain working.  It’s exciting to know for years to come there will be plenty of ways to challenge my brain here.  And as Dr. Amen suggests, lots of opportunities for social bonding as well. 

© M.E. Rollins

No comments:

Post a Comment